    SubjectRe: Jive -> Kernel (International Linux) (fwd)
    Binding multi-language support to the shell only is not a good idea.

    I want nice German error messages telling me that the root filesystem
    crashed :-).
    I'm sure that, for many people, a major reason to use Windows is having
    native language text. It's just that you feel "at home".

    I hereby vote for the include-file-#define-solution.
    - does not enlarge kernel
    - works from the very first boot message on
    - translations could be done by simple kernel patches
    - by using include files, translations are version-independent

    Please correct me. I'm not a kernel hacker, but have done quite a bit of
    programming.

    cheers, Stephan

    On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, Jason Murdock wrote:

    > Wouldn't it be easier and not drain so resources from the kernel to have
    > the languages handled by the shell? Just seems easier to me to patch
    > BASH, TCSH, ASH, or whatever shell you want to use to handle the language
    > you want to work in and are most comfortable in.
    >
    > jason

    > Jason Murdock | creature@injersey.com
    > psycho-at-large |
    > Member of the Linux Users Support Team and the Free Software Union
    > Projects: Game Programmer's Guide to Linux Library
    > "If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett
    >
    > "Onward... TO MAYHEM!!" -- Milk and Cheeses
    >
    > On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, Stephan Meyer wrote:
    >
    > > On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, Philip Blundell wrote:
    > > > Frankly, I'm not sure that the idea is particularly worthwhile, but we'll
    > > > see...
    > > >
    > > > P.
    > > >

    > > You would be crying out for multi-language support, if the linux kernel
    > > gave messages in German.
    > >
    > > I thought about a text file, that would contain language-specific
    > > messages. Perhaps, it could be integrated with the linux kernel. I
    > > wouldn't mind the added size, but you could just disable it, too.
    > > The kernel would look for it at boot-time and would parse it, if present.
    > >
    > > Just my 0,02 DM :)
    > >
    > > Stephan

    > > Stephan Meyer
    > > +49-89-4301114
    > > Stephan.Meyer@munich.netsurf.de
    > > http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~meyer/

    Stephan Meyer
    +49-89-4301114
    Stephan.Meyer@munich.netsurf.de
    http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~meyer/

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.023 / U:0.116 seconds]