SubjectRe: Swap Files
On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, Andrew E. Mileski wrote:

> Andrew E. Mileski wrote:
> > I find this annoying: at shutdown, swapfiles are never turned off.
> > This keeps the partiton busy, and hence it needs to be fsck'ed at
> > next boot.
> >
> > Should something be put into the kernel shutdown to release all
> > swap files and umount all fs?
>
> I should have wrote that I tried the obvious already :-/
>
> I'm using the latest swapoff, and have verified it gets executed
> at shutdown. Swap partitions are umount'ed properly, but swapfiles
> seem to stay active.

swapoff -a turnes off only partitions/files that are listed as swap in
fstab.

The solution is to either swapoff each file individually in rc.0 or to add
them to fstab. The latter solution will give some (harmless) errors if the
swapfiles are not on the root filesystem.

Ionut

--
It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
than to open it and remove all doubt.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.794 / U:0.332 seconds]