    SubjectRe: Swap Files
    On Fri, 17 Jan 1997, Andrew E. Mileski wrote:

    > I find this annoying: at shutdown, swapfiles are never turned off.
    > This keeps the partiton busy, and hence it needs to be fsck'ed at
    > next boot.
    > Should something be put into the kernel shutdown to release all
    > swap files and umount all fs?

    My shutdown script does a 'swapoff -a'.
    Further, the same script unmounts all file-systems "/etc/rc.d/rc.0"....
    I don't think that the problem you are having is caused by this. Instead,
    You probably have a task with an open FD that refuses to die during
    shutdown. You can emulate exactly what should occur upon shutdown from
    the keyboard (console, not over the network).

    # kill -TERM -1
    # sync
    # kill -KILL -1
    # cd /
    # swapoff -a
    # umount -a

    Although the system is still "alive", you can hit the reboot switch or
    turn the power off with no effect upon the file-systems that have been
    safely put to bed.

    On your next boot, they will be mounted immediately after fsck sees that
    they were properly dismounted.

    Dick Johnson
    Richard B. Johnson
    Project Engineer
    Analogic Corporation
    Voice : (508) 977-3000 ext. 3754
    Fax : (508) 532-6097
    Modem : (508) 977-6870
    Ftp :
    Email :,
    Penguin : Linux version 2.1.21 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.046 / U:22.900 seconds]