SubjectRe: Compilation problems with 2.1.20, incorrectly globalized symbols
From
   From: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox)

> BTW, I notice that someone occasionally publishes a list of
> multiply-defined symbols, incorrectly globalized symbols, and other
> namespace pollution. Doesn't anyone *do* anything with that list?

Grab the list and get programming and testing. You've got the source code

Well, as they say in TQM class, the question is not how to eliminate
these instances of the problem, but how to ensure that future
instances never occur again. Off the top of my head, it seems like
the situation is for the gatekeeper (i.e., Linus) to enforce that
people don't abuse the global symbol namespace, in the same way he
enforces sane coding style.

There is also the additional problem that when I muck around in code
that someone else is writing and maintaining (possibly at this very
moment), I won't necessarily fix the problem right...

Dale
--
Dale R. Worley Ariadne Internet Services
Voice: +1 617-899-7949 Fax: +1 617-899-7946 E-mail: worley@ariadne.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.054 / U:0.860 seconds]