SubjectRe: NE2000 Module Problem
On 9 Sep 1996, Eberhard Moenkeberg wrote:

> Andrew E. Mileski (aem@aem.ott.hookup.net) wrote:
>
> : After doing some head banging I realize the problem: the NE2000 driver
> : is dumb-as-a-post when it comes to autoprobing :-(
>
> ne.c has its well-sorted list of addresses to probe at, and if you use
> it as a "non-module", it will find the PCI cards, too.
>
> : The RealTek RTK8029 cards are _PCI_ so they must be probed, and hence
> : the current driver cannot be used as a module. This should be documented.
>
> This is wrong; due to a decision of the author, ne.c will not auto-probe
> for cards if used as a module. But you can always say something like
> insmod ne.c io=0x6000
> and the module will find your PCI card.

The point here is that a PCI ne2000 is probable in a safe way. Normal
NE2000 do not have a standard way to probe but a PCI one can be probe in a
secure maner (A shell script can do it :-) ).

So a ne2000 should accept to probe only for PCI and continue with the
current (unfortunate but not too bad) state of affair (not probing when
used as a module).

Jacques Gelinas (jacques@solucorp.qc.ca)
Linuxconf: The ultimate administration system for Linux.
see http://www.solucorp.qc.ca:/linuxconf

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.111 / U:0.176 seconds]