SubjectRe: What to do (fwd)

On Sat, 7 Sep 1996, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 23:31:57 +0300 (EET DST)
> From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@cs.Helsinki.FI>
> To: "D. Chiodo" <djc@hal.microwave.com>
> Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> Subject: Re: What to do (fwd)
>

> On Thu, 5 Sep 1996, D. Chiodo wrote:
> >
> > I had posted this previously, but no one had any comments/advice/fixes.. I
> > suspect it was becuase I buried the data at the bottom..
> >
> > Trace: 120a97 <close_fp+33/84>
> > Trace: 1150e6 <do_exit+116/1f0>
> > Trace: 2855e40
> > Trace: 1151c0 <sys_exit>
> > Trace: 1151ce <sys_exit+e/10>
> > Trace: 283f41b
> > Trace: 2855e40
> > Trace: 10fae8 <do_page_fault>
> > Trace: 10a63d <error_code+3d/50>
> > Trace: 10a429 <lcall7+49/50>
>
> Looks like you're using the iBCS2 module.. Are you sure the module
> matches the kernel? If you have kerneld, make sure it isn't loading an
> old iBCS2 module by mistake or something like that..
>
> Linus

First, Thank you very much for your quick reply (Not to mention thanks for
the alternative to using MickeySoft and Apple O/S's -I work for an ISP
that uses Linux for its primary servers..)

Yes. I grabbed the latest ibcs, and done a fresh compile.

(And not using kerneld, I have a direct call to insmod in my rc files)

Oops (not the kernel type tho)- Just went to check my version of ibcs, and
it seems the "latest" version I grabbed was two years old.. I have one
with:

Thu Jun 6 17:21:00 GMT/BST 1996

as the header in Changelog that I was using previously, that I still got
the errors with.. I will recompile/reload that one just to be sure though

(Cant test it until Monday at work - it only manifests itself when
installing/running WP, and I am remote via 28K at the moment)

What _is_ the latest version of iBCS? (And is there an "iBCS" and an
"iBCS2", the latter of which is newer?)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.045 / U:0.136 seconds]