    SubjectRe: patch-2.0.1[67] kills automount daemon (Berkeley amd)

    >> > I'm going to release a 2.0.18 reasonably soon, but in the
    >> meantime I'd like > to know if this small fix fixes the NFS
    >> problems.. Now that the kernel > mailing list seems to work
    >> well again, maybe we can use it for what it was > meant for.
    >>
    >> Master,
    >>
    >> it seems to work. I had no more hangs with amd, but I could not
    >> deterministically force a hang before, therefore "seems". But
    >> I've tried hard (with run-parts /etc/cron.daily, this used to
    >> hang the automounter).

    Systemkennung> A very reliable way to hang amd is to use elm for
    Systemkennung> reading mail on a automounted /var/spool/mail/.
    Systemkennung> Start elm, then let it sit around idle for some
    Systemkennung> time. Amd then tried to unmount the fs and NFS
    Systemkennung> hangs.

    Amazing! I have almost exactly the same problem, in a different
    way. After installing amd for the first time last week, I got used to
    having to reboot my machine every morning to get the NFS/amd system
    unfrozen. Sometimes, I could simply restart amd, and all the processes
    waiting for NFS I/O would error out and return. Until then, they would
    all freeze. Only a reboot would fully clear it.

    The one NFS mount that was always solidly hung was the one I get my
    mail from. I automount it in a directory under /var/spool, and I
    symlink my mailbox from /var/spool/mail into it. This works until
    about three in the morning, when something happens to the NFS mount
    (or service), and all amd/NFS freezes.

    What I did to fix it was to uncomment my old /etc/fstab NFS mount of
    the mail directory. Now amd doesn't ever get called, so the amd system
    hasn't frozen since. The "hard" NFS mount of the mail directory hasn't
    frozen either.

    Maybe this has something to do with amd and/or NFS not being able to
    detect that a process still has a file handle open in the automounted
    directory, and they freeze during the unmount, or during the remount
    when that handle is accessed again.

    --
    Andrew C. Esh mailto:andrew_esh@cnt.com
    Computer Network Technology andrewes@mtn.org (finger for PGP key)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.018 / U:184.920 seconds]