Subjectmodules_install
I think this is a potential problem but correct me if I am wrong.

I have one machine (of 6) that I do developement on. This is also the
machine that I have started to compile the new kernels on.

Usually to install the packages after the compile, I mount the
developement machine via NFS (rw).

This works great except for the modules_install in the kernel. This
script is creating 2 files, ".allmods" and ".misc".

When I do this make command, I get a file not found on these two files.

I tracked it down to NFS not allowing me to create files even though it
is mounted (rw). I am assuming this is because I am logged in as root
and the squash_root might be enabled (I am not doing this specifically,
but I have not tried without it and am assuming that this IS a
default.) Any suggestions welcome as to if I am on the correct path.

However, my suggestion is to create these in the HOME directory of the
user so that this can be installed from a ro NFS mount.

I corrected it by placing a ~/ infront of the file names. This worked
very well.

Could this be a default or would the /usr/tmp directory be better for
these files? Anyways, I would like to make the suggestion that all
temporary files created during make (not compiled temp's of course) be
placed in one of these directories. Especially the install temp files.

TIA

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.023 / U:0.100 seconds]