    SubjectRe: Please Advise: SCSI vs. IDE (fwd)
    T.Hedge wrote:
    +> Linus Torvalds wrote:
    +>
    +> Personally, if I bought a SCSI card, I'd buy one of the supported PCI
    +> BusLogic cards.
    +>
    +> Linus

    T.Hedge wrote:
    +> Well;
    +>
    +> I am one of those idiots that was ignorant (and broke) enough
    +> to buy a motherboard with the UM888BF chipsets (PCI/VLB). I have
    +> only been able to confirm one problem with writes from SCSI to IDE.

    OK. It seems you suffered from some brokem PCI-Bridge-Chip, not from SCSI !

    +> That was with a 2940UW. This was fatal to the controller in the
    +> fact that it continued to corrupt data from the first time he tried
    +> it (with a 2+ meg file). I ordered a Buslogic 948C and hope this
    +> does not happen to me before I have the money to buy a new board.

    I don't know, wether the Buslogic will do any better, when the problem
    is in the PCI-Bridge-Chip ?!

    +> Does any of the PCI Bridge fixes have any affect on this chip? Will
    +> any of the future kernels address this problem?

    I've had meanwhile 3 486-Boards with VIP (VESA, ISA & PCI) - I also
    had the whole time SCSI-Host-Adapters ( It's been all the time
    an NCR 825S and an AHA2940W ). And I never had any troubles with them!
    (Except with the last Board, from SOYO. It's a 4SAW2. It supports only
    SDMS 3.06 (from 1993 !!! - And the board is brand new!) and alway make
    some funny things with my NCR. I have upgraded the BIOS of the NCR
    to SDMS 4.x, but the 4.x Driver for Win 3.11 for example claims, that
    it won't support such an old SDMS-Version. So I can't have 32-bit
    under Win 3.11. - But- I mostly use Linux, anyway! :-)))))))))

    But with these 2 SCSI-Controllers in the same system, you will always have
    some wild *FUN* ;)

    This is obvious when I install a new (complete) Distribution.

    It works mostly the following way: I boot my machine under DOS and start
    the installation-Tool from CD. The boot-disk and the CD-ROM are
    connected to the NCR. So the newly booted Linux accepts them as /dev/sda1
    and the CD-ROM is always OK [No need to mention further]. I apply
    the new distribution to one Partition at the Adaptec, which is known
    then as "/dev/sdc1" (/dev/sdb is at the NCR, too).

    The Installationtool creates a "/etc/fstab" with these settings.
    - But when I try to boot Linux anew (loadlin...), Linux claims that
    the Disk at the Adaptec is "/dev/sda1" - Can you imagine how much fun
    I have, when I forget to fix the fstab, before rebooting ? - Especially,
    when you have (as I have) 4 disks and 2 or more swap-Partitions
    on different disks with different partition-Numbers ? X-[
    - Yes, you could call it "Eraserhead" ;-] or "Russian Roulette".

    +>
    +> Tim Hedges
    Regards,

    Herbert
    Herbert Wengatz, 81375 Munich |Disclaim: This Mail is my own opinion,
    Office :hwe@uebemc.siemens.de |not that of my company.
    Private:hwe@rtfact.muc.de | http://www.muc.de/~hwe/rtfact
    --- "Excellence is a moving target." ---

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.020 / U:0.780 seconds]