SubjectRe: rebooting

> xor %esp,%esp
> inc %esp
> push %esp
>
> That works on every x86 machine we've tested it on, including his with
> the wacko keyboard controller, it's about as non-portable as it gets
> though, so I doubt its suitable for the actual kernel, you should try it
> in your machine, tho.
Actually, this should work fine on any x86 machine - I guess this will cause
the processor to enter shutdown mode (stack fault trying to run on an invalid
stack), which on any machine I have come across causes reboot. Of course on
a machine that was designed properly it would drop you into a rom monitor, like
on a Sun or a Dec, but we are talking PCs here after all....

Currently this works because we don't use a separate task for handling stack
exceptions (by using a separate task it is possible to have a stack kept aside
for the exception handler). This approach will fail if this changes.

Note that this causes a cold rather than warm reboot, so we don't ususally
want to do this, but it could be useful to attempt to do a warm boot, and if we
are still running say 1 second later try this approach.

Does this sound reasonable?

David

> --
> | | | || ||| |Email: Jared@isysg.com|
> | |||||||=| | | "Orion" at IRC |
> |Jared Roberts| Redmond, WA |

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.042 / U:0.320 seconds]