SubjectRe: SNMP (WAS - Re: /proc filesystem code cleanup)

On Sat, 28 Sep 1996, James Hughes wrote:

> If the network drivers were standardized to use /proc/net/snmp for
> monitoring with any SNMP manager. The CMU agent, modified by Juergen
> Schoenwaelder, Erik Schoenfelder and friends for Linux, could then be
> used to control things like the IP firewalling and such from the
> manager.

The manager only needs a MIB definition. Its the local agent which would
need the specifics of how the get/set the objects on the device. The
question for the manager side is are their existing MIB definitions for
things like firewalling and if not we would need to define one. My guess
is they already exist. How the agent gets/sets these things really does
not matter because it will never be portable so why not use the existing
methods for that - ioctl. I don't see why the fast growing kernel should
have two non-standard firewalling interfaces. In general, what is the
point of having things duplicated in proc which are available using
ioctl or syscalls. I understand people like to 'cat /proc/uptime' and thats
ok but the line should be drawn somewhere, or just go all the way and let
the entire kernel interface available thru proc. Then one could write
a device driver with bash :).

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.050 / U:0.248 seconds]