SubjectRe: /proc filesystem code cleanup
> I am working with on implementing /proc support on a driver and
> noticed that each subsystem seems to implement their interface to
> the proc code a bit differently. Only the SCSI devices seem to
> have any sort of uniform proc interface, but it is still very
> SCSI specific.

I disagree with you - the SCSI (and net code) are _NOT_ generic...
heck they really shouldn't be part of the /proc code! The /proc
system ALREADY has a generic interface, but it is not used :-(

IMHO, all code should register/unregister a /proc entry from somewhere
other than the proc code. Only the "system" stuff should be anywhere
near the base /proc code - and then it should likely be in separate
files.

> It does not look too difficult to make the code more uniform and
> generic. We should be able to reduce the code a bit, since parts
> of the code are duplicated, with slight variances.

Good luck - somebody (I forget - you?) posted some patches for
/proc a while back to clean it up. Perhaps you should check the
archives for this.

--
Andrew E. Mileski mailto:aem@ott.hookup.net
Linux Plug-and-Play Kernel Project http://www.redhat.com/linux-info/pnp/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.084 / U:1.124 seconds]