    SubjectRe: IDE hanging
    On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Jason Burrell wrote:

    > I've got an ATAPI CDROM plugged into the IDE port on my AWE32 Soundcard,
    > which is plug and pray. The soundcard IDE is configured as ide2, thus making
    > the CDROM /dev/hde. To configure the plug and pray twinkology, I have to
    > boot into MS-DOG, wait for the Intel Configuration Mismanager to
    > misconfigure it, and then reboot into Linux. Then all works well.
    > The power failed earlier this evening, and the system rebooted. When it came
    > back up, it booted into Linux, not DOS, as it should. When I tried to play
    > an audio CD using workbone, the program hung, saying "status timeout:
    > status=0xff", and "hde: drive not ready for command." This is all well and
    > good -- it's talking to an IDE controller which, as far as the machine is
    > concerned, doesn't exist because it hasn't been configured.
    > Unfortunately, workbone *wouldn't die*. I kill -9'ed it several times, to no
    > avail. Eventually, after sending those messages to the syslog a bunch of
    > times, it aborted on its own.
    > Is this a bug? Should the IDE driver exhibit this behavior?
    > Just curious.

    Hmm.. there are several factors playing here :-), and we should probably
    address all this in 2.1.xx, but the "real" answer is that one should really
    use "ide2=0x1e8" rather than "hde=cdrom" in most cases:

    "ide2=0x1e8" means:

    "Look at the teritary interface and see if you can find something
    over there"

    while "hde=cdrom" means:

    "Configure this drive as a cdrom even when you are pretty sure that
    there is nothing over there :-)"

    Gadi Oxman

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.018 / U:13.024 seconds]