SubjectRe: Money (was Re: test version of 2.1.0 available (fwd))
This is getting silly, but i can't help myself.

Well you could use an international money order, or wire transfer the funds.
Or a cashiers check from a bank with a partner in finland. Or western union :-)

At 08:23 AM 9/25/96 +0300, Linus Torvalds wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Marc Lewis wrote:
>> >
>> > Linus,
>> >
>> > Go ahead and put me down for AT LEAST $1. Just give me an address and
>> > the exchange info and I'll be more than happy to support whatever
>> > fiendish pleasure you may partake in, that would not be considered "your
>> > job!" :)
>> >
>> > Mike
>>
>> There is a currency converter at "http://www.olsen.ch/cgi-bin/exmenu"...
>> We just need an address, now.....
>
>I _really_ don't want money. You wouldn't believe how frustrating it is with
>personal cheques from the US - in the best case it costs on the order of
>$10-20 USD just to get them cached (*), and that's after arguing about it
>with the bank tellers for 10 minutes.
>
>As to the person who suggested beer - oh Gods. The Finnish customs people are
>all ex-Nazis, and they've gotten a lot grumpier since their austere leader
>shot his brains out. They have a bad day EVERY DAY. Their only joy in life is
>to confiscate alcohol from abroad.
>
> Linus
>
>(*) Think about it for a while. How safe would you rate any personal cheque
>on a scale of 1-10? Personally, I'd call it at about a -50. You can print out
>fake cheques on your average dot matrix printer, for Gods sake! Small
>children in kindergarten can make one up with a pink crayon. No wonder no
>self-respecting bank outside the US wants to have anything to do with them.

Allen Smith
Lab Manager / Senior Network Engineer
lazlor@stardust.com

STARDUST TECHNOLOGIES
www.stardust.com ftp.stardust.com

Phone: 408 879 8080 1901 S. Bascom Ave, #333
Fax: 408 879 8081 Campbell, CA 95008

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.046 / U:4.500 seconds]