    SubjectRe: The elves are coming

    jon@gte.esi.us.es wrote:
    > It is only the kernel that is ELF only, you can still be 100% a.out in
    > userland if you like. Linus is changing how the kernel is loaded and this
    > is very much dependant on the binary format, trying to keep the old
    > a.out kernel is just asking for bugs to leak in.

    I disagree. It is my experience that making sure your code runs in
    slightly different environments is a way of eliminating bugs (that
    don't show up on one environment or the other). But I would agree
    that there is no future in a.out and it should be dropped for that
    reason.

    I am still very concerned that te 2.0 kernel is showing up many bugs
    and that support is shifting to 2.1. I feel no temptation to change from
    my present 2.0.0 up to 2.0.21 or thereabouts because it doesn't seem to
    buy my users anything other than different bugs. I might as well gather
    more data on the kernel I have.

    (Actually I feel that 1.3.90 was where I felt happiest in the kernel
    development series, all in all... after that a series of major changes
    broke lots of things one after the other. I am just upgrading a
    portable that got left with a 1.3.90 kernel and it is #%$@ to fix the
    things I need so that they work after the upgrade).

    Peter T. Breuer
    |Departamento de Ingenieria de Sistemas Telematicos, Universidad Politecnica
    |de Madrid, Escuela Tecnica Superior de Ingenieros de Telecomunicacion,
    |Ciudad Universitaria, E--28040 Madrid, SPAIN.
    |Tel. Office : +34 (1)336 6831
    | Fax : +34 (1)543 2077 or 336 7333
    |Internet : <ptb@eng.cam.ac.uk, ptb@comlab.ox.ac.uk, ptb@dit.upm.es>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.023 / U:121.136 seconds]