SubjectRe: Processes hanging on 2.0.20; not just on Alphas anymore :(
   Date: 	Sun, 22 Sep 1996 21:10:24 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi>
cc: submit-linux-dev-kernel@ratatosk.yggdrasil.com
Sender: owner-linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu

On 22 Sep 1996, Thomas Koenig wrote:

> In linux.dev.kernel, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi> wrote:
>
> > Linus "on to 2.1, I think" Torvalds
>
> What are your plans on continuing bugfixes for 2.0? There are still
> two minor bugs that I experienced and reported, for example
> (crash on shutdown and the wrong tty->count).

Will be continued. I think I started 1.3 when 1.2.8 was the current
"stable" kernel, so there is precedent. In fact I suspect I should have
started 2.1 a bit earlier just to take some of the pressure off 2.0, but
it's also such a horror to try to keep track of two separate trees that I
was chicken..

Linus

I am not a developper so I am not sure I have the right to give
advice.

I think you should have frozen development in 2.0 on features who
cannot reach production quality on it. I am as eager as everyone in
getting SMP but this has broken 2.0 in at least one occasion and will
be usable (that is robust and fast) only in 2.1. IMHO these parts
should be developped only in 2.1. In 2.0 work is supposed to focalize
in fixing bugs on 2.0 features.

--

Jean Francois Martinez

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.068 / U:0.592 seconds]