    SubjectProblem with sound driver as a module
         Hi all.

    This is a bit of a nitpick really, but there is a minor problem with
    the Sound card driver when loaded as a module.

    Every time the driver is loaded, the volume levels on the mixer are
    reset. OK, its not the end of the world, but the default levels as set
    in the kernel source are loud enough to scare the shit out of me when
    I don't expect it - I almost had a heart attack the other day when the
    computer suddenly screamed "YOU HAVE NEW MAIL!!" at me...

    Obviously storing the mixer levels in the module code is not on, since
    the code gets unloaded when the module autocleaner does its thing. The
    only way around this I can think of (other than not modularising sound
    or modifying the kernel source to initialise with acceptable values -
    which is cheating really...) is to store the mixer levels in a file
    somewhere - maybe /etc/mixer0-levels or something. I know its not very
    pretty... Although it does mean everytime you reboot your machine the
    mixer settings would be the same.

    Another possibility is not setting the values at all. I don't know a
    thing about soundcards, but AFAIK that would mean the card starts up
    with random mixer settings on boot, which could easily be set with a
    command in /etc/rc.d/rc.local... and every time the module is loaded
    the mixer settings are left untouched.

    Either way, I feel something should be done, even if it is just a note
    in the documentation saying ***Watch out for this***. As it is it's a
    bit of a trap for new players, as the implication when using modules
    is that everything acts the same as a module as it does if its
    compiled in.

    If there is a solution which is within my abilities to code, I'd be
    happy to write a patch, although the kernels not really my thing...

    Have a nice day.

    Cheers... Mike

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.018 / U:40.840 seconds]