lkml.org 
[lkml]   [1996]   [Sep]   [22]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
 
Messages in this thread
/
From
SubjectRe: Masquerading
Date
Hi,

> BACKGROUND
> -----------------------
> My firewall machine is connected to my ISP via a PPP connection (just for
> now). For the sake of the document (however not really) the gateway machine
> is 151.51.25.126 (class C). The address that they assign my interface is
> 151.51.25.X (DHCP group). My Ethernet has an address of 192.168.250.0.
> 192.168.250.150 is my gateway. pppd is started with defaultroute so that
> the default route for the gateway is ppp0. 198.168.250.153 is my host box.
>
> >From the firewall, I can see the world and life is good. However, my ISP is

> using IGRP which does me no good as far as routing goes (no RIP available)
> and I am using the private networks as specified in the RFC, therefore,
> masquerading is required. Thanks to all who saw the need for this and have
> included it in the kernel.
>
> ISSUES
> --------------
> (defaults for all filters are accept)
>
> test1
> -------
> ipfwadm -F -f
> ipfwadm -I -f
> ipfwadm -O -f
>
> There are no errors in the command line.
> This forwards the packet from localnet to ppp0 as is. No problem,
> except that no router on 151.51.25.0 has a clue where 192.168.250.0 is. No
> gated or routed does not fix it (see the notes above on IGRP). Therefore,
> there is no return route. Not a problem with masquerading right? These
> packets are visible with "tcpdump -i ppp0".

This all seems to be according to all specs.

> test 2
> --------
> ipfwadm -F -a accept -S 192.168.250.? -W ppp0 -m
>
> There are no errors in the command line.
> ? is any number between 0 and 255. Please note, I have tried both 0
> and a specific address like 153.
> tcpdump shows me that packets are being received by the gateway (on
> eth0) but there is no forwarding of the packets to ppp0 or lo ("tcpdump -i"
> command verifies this). "ipfwadm -M -l" shows nothing in the masquerade
> tables.
> Changing the -W to -V and specifying the interface address makes no
> difference.

When specifying 0 for ?, you _should_ add a mask, like 192.168.250.0/24
(== 192.168.250.0/255.255.255.0).
It should work for a specific address, however.

> test 3
> --------
> ipfwadm -F -a accept -S 192.168.250.? -V 151.51.25.# -m
>
> There are no errors in the command line.
> This works for any given value of # that is returned by pppd and for
> any value of ? EXCEPT for 0 or 255. Here is an output of my "ipfwadm -F
> -ln" command:
>
> IP firewall forward rules, default policy: accept
> type prot source destination ports
> acc/m all 192.168.250.151 0.0.0.0/0 n/a
> acc/m all 192.168.250.153 0.0.0.0/0 n/a
> acc/m all 192.168.250.153 0.0.0.0/0 n/a
>
> Please note that this is not reliable. 1 out of every 3 (random)
> "shutdown -r now" attempts will not allow this to work.

Huh... shutdown? What are you trying to say with this?
What is the difference between the last two rules (use the -lne options
to produce more extensive output)?

> Problems
> -------------
> 1. Why does the forward gateway not allow any IP address on the net to be
> passed unless they are specifically specified in the forward gateways list?
> ie Why does the localnet not work as a parameter?

Dependent on what you're asking, there are two answers:
- You need to specify a mask for the source address (see test 2).
- The "other" addresses don't have a route back and therefore will not work
(although the packets itself should be passed).

> 2. The documentation is not clear on the mask (that is why you do not see me
> using it). Do I need 0.0.0.255 or 255.255.255.255.0 for all addresses on
> 192.168.250.0?

Neither of them ;-). But I think the last one is a typo and you mean
only 3 x 255. That one can be abbreviated as "24" (see test 2 above).

> 3. Why can I not specify -W with the command and have it work?

This is strange. You say that -V works fine?

--
-- Jos Vos <jos@xos.nl>
-- X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV | Phone: +31 20 6938364
-- Amsterdam, The Netherlands | Fax: +31 20 6948204

\
 
 \ /
  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.052 / U:2.636 seconds]
©2003-2020 Jasper Spaans|hosted at Digital Ocean and TransIP|Read the blog|Advertise on this site