SubjectRe: crashme crashes 2.0.20 with guarantee :-(

On Mon, 16 Sep 1996, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Sep 1996, Boris Tobotras wrote:
> >
> > Every short invokation of crashme crashes linux badly. These are two OOPSes I
> > was able to catch (others just hang the system totally).
>
> Hmm.. I tried to duplicate this, but it doesn't do anything for me. I have a
> newer version of crashme, though (2.4 vs your 2.1), and maybe this is
> version-dependent. Could you make your binary available (you might want to
> compile it statically to make sure there are no interactions with different
> shared libraries and possibly different rand() functions?)
>
> Also, could you try the other NCR driver to see if it makes a difference
> (I'm told SMP-linux crashes with the BSD NCR driver)

I agree with your suggestion since I would probaby do exactly the same.

I recently read that _one_ system running SMP-linux with the BSD ncr driver
_locks_ up. I did not hear anything about _crashes_.
I read that a bunch of _interrupt_s is enough to lock some systems
running SMP-Linux.
Unfortunately, I donnot have time enough to read all postings about Linux.
Can you, please, forward to me the description of crashes with SMP-linux and
the BSD ncr driver that have been reported to you.

Thanks in advance.

Gerard

> Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.369 / U:0.064 seconds]