SubjectRe: NE2000 PCI clones patches: Vote!
On Sat, 14 Sep 1996, Jacques Gelinas wrote:
> If the ne2000-PCI can probe and it does not, this is linux which looks
> unsophisticated. This is bad.

This is nowhere near as bad as a kernel that never quite reaches stability
because we keep adding last minute "features".

> With the kind of reaction we have had on this one, I suspect that there
> will never be any new hardware support in 2.0 and users will have to wait
> for 2.2 to get it. It goes against the idea that 2.0 should have "some
> life" even when 2.1 is available.

Never underestimate just how important a "stable" kernel is to some people,
and just how much an even apparently innocuous "last minute addition" can
destabilise it.

I'm not saying that this particular patch is a bad one, only that the line
has to be drawn *somewhere*, and at 2.0.20 already and still not quite right,
I think the world is wanting a kernel they can rely on rather than one
which has every last feature possible. I know I'd love to be able to upgrade
the machines at work from 1.2.13 soon...
(Of course my home machine is 2.0.20 :-))

Still, one thing I've learned to trust over the last few years is...

It's Linus's call...

- Colin
--
email colin@kcbbs.gen.nz | "Don't worry.
colin@utf.gen.nz | I always leave things until the last minute."
| - Doctor, GHOST LIGHT

Campaigning for 4 line sigs |

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.065 / U:0.412 seconds]