SubjectRe: memory testing [was: Re: General protection fault in kswapd in 2.0.18]
On Sat, 14 Sep 1996, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Pick up a hairdrier and point it at your memory modules, while the system
> > is running. If some of the modules are flaky, then errors will show up
> > quite fast.
>
> Not smart.. A hairdrier is often a very good source of static electricity

But static electricity is rarely a problem with a system under power. That
is not to say that you will come away unscathed if you sustain a lightning
hit, but triboelectric sources are unlikely to cause damage if there are
paths to dissipate the energy as would be the case with an operating unit.

Harvey

Harvey Fishman | The more that I contemplate the range of choices
fishman@panix.com | available to me on November 5th, the more
718-258-7276 | I wish that I could secede from the United States.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.057 / U:3.788 seconds]