SubjectRe: NFS as a module / kerneld question
Date

> On Tue, 10 Sep 1996, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > > Since nfs.o forks 4 useless processes when loaded (nfsiod), it will never
> > > be auto-removed. Mounting doesn't use any of those processes, a new one
> > > is started so the use count is never lower than 4. I have figured out
> > > a 'post-install' command for kerneld that kills these useless processes
> > > and allows auto-unload. What kind of fate am I tempting using this
> > > command?
> >
> > You'll totally break and ruin your NFS apart from that its fine. The 4
> > processes are not useless. Kill them as a pre-removal thing if you need to
>
> pre-removal doesn't work since the use count has to be 0 for kerneld to
> trigger pre-removal commands and then remove the module. And if these
> processes are needed, how come they just go to sleep and never wake up?

If you never use NFS (which I assume is the case, since you're talking about
auto-removing the nfs module) then those processes are indeed going to go
to sleep and never wake up. That's because you're *not using them*.

For the rest of us who actually *use* NFS, those processes handle I/O
requests, the way e.g. biod works under SunOS. For more information you
should probably look at the NFS source. If you're not willing to learn
what's going on to this extent, you've got three choices - don't use
NFS, don't expect the NFS module to unload, or wait until someone else
goes to the trouble of updating the NFS code to make these changes.

(since by definition this functionality wouldn't be used by anyone who
actually uses NFS, I wouldn't hold my breath for it...)

Peter Desnoyers : Midnight Networks Inc. 200 Fifth Avenue Waltham MA 02154
pjd@midnight.com : Ph. 617/890-1001 Fax -0028 The Best in Network Software

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.070 / U:1.764 seconds]