    SubjectRe: Virus 'protection' departitionment
    Date

    > I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, if you have a better I'd
    > love to know...

    > I have an intel PC, IDE, 2 drives, linux is on the second, LIlo is
    > on the first on MBR.

    > I just ran f-prot virus protection(in dos) and it said it found and
    > cleaned the ripper virus on my second drive, the one with a dos, linux swap,
    > and ext-2 partition. It decided I really had one huge dos partition and
    > wrote that on my MBR. Does anyone know any way to rewrite the MBR with the
    > correct information witout losing all the data on my drive?

    > BTW, I know the data is still there because my kernel is on that
    > drive and lilo can still run it, but of course it can't mount root, cause
    > the file system info is wrong in the MBR.

    > Any help, even just a better place to ask, would be apreciatd. Oh,
    > f-prot will not return my MBR to its pre-'cleaned' status itself, I checked
    > that already.

    If you remember the sizes of your partitions, you can boot from one of Linux
    rescue floppies (sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/system/recovery) and use fdisk
    to put your partitions back - it will modify only MBR, not data, so if you
    need several tries it's Ok.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.018 / U:156.380 seconds]