SubjectRe: PCI bridge optimization - stable?

On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Gerry Jensen wrote:

> PCI bridge optimization has been an option in the kernel for a long time.
> What is it's status? How stable is it? The help text recommends to
> include it, yet it's still listed as experimental. This seems like a
> conflict to me. If it's still experimental, I don't think it should be
> recommended, and if it's stable, I don't think it should be listed as
> experimental. What is it's real status?

The CODE in question seems stable.

The HARDWARE isn't. People have reported problems when PCI bridge
optimization has been in effect. Not many, but some, and it looks like a
substandard motherboard and/or controller card. Ergo, we don't want to
even show the option to people who don't know what they are doing..

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.046 / U:0.320 seconds]