SubjectRe: Linux support denial in commercial products?
On Wed, 21 Aug 1996, Gaspy Silverleaf wrote:

> As to winning over database companies ... I'm just not sure that this is
> the direction I'd like to see Linux head in .... I'd much rather have fun
> and learn many new cool things than worry about making silly companies
> happy.

You can not imagine how expensive it is to get attention from the big
database systems. Check out www.tpc.org, the four way systems are costing
$600K georgies and more. It is difficult to get a data base vendor of
name to become interested if you can't produce leading edge TPC/C
performance numbers.

> I have always enjoyed Linux and the people who help make it what it is.
> I just don't think I feel the need to win over commercial support, and
> in my experience with other people who use Linux, that they wouldn't
> really like to see it follow the masses,

I tend to agree, I would like to be able to run programs like photoshop
and get good scanner software etc. though. For example, the Cardinal ISDN
adapter is dirt cheap, but no unix support period. It is a conundrum.

> I would much rather see many more enjoyable features to make my Linux
> experience fun.

Running NT binaries would be a fun thing.

# Ed Welbon; welbon@bga.com;
# http://www.bga.com/~welbon/spider.html

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.039 / U:0.136 seconds]