SubjectRe: Old style ramdisk
On Mon, 8 Jul 1996, Robert de Bath wrote:

> Dear *,
> I _like_ the new style ramdisk driver, for normal machines it's much
> better than the old one.

Good to hear, even though I didn't write it... :)

> But, (There's always one!) I've also got this nice old 386, it's got a
> little bit of 32bit ram and a lot more ram in ISA cards. With 1.2.13 I
> can put the ISA card ram in as a ramdisk (with a tiny patch) and put a
> swap file on there. Unfortunatly with 2.0.0 I can't do this 'cause the
> ramdisk would be scattered through memory this means that the CPU is now
> running programs from the slooow RAM, 2.0.0 ends up about 1/4 the speed
> of 1.2.13 on an already very slow machine.

Why? You take away from the memory to create a swapfile to swap pages from
memory? I think that's a bit redundant, not to mention wasteful. That's
like creating a RAM disk to put your WinSlows 3.1 swapfile on.

> So, what I'm after is some way to tell Linux that it's a _really_ bad
> idea to run code from that area; an old style ramdisk in a module would
> do the trick but I can't find one anywhere, does anyone know of one,
> so I can upgrade that machine to two too please ? :-)

Well, that might be nice, but it is rather useless.

Derrik Pates
dpates@cavern.nmsu.edu
--
"Some help would be nice... Or a sandwich and a cold beer!!!" --Boston Low,
"The Dig"

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.081 / U:0.044 seconds]