SubjectRe: ext2-fs errors/corruption (more data)
   Date: Sun,  7 Jul 1996 18:17:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: Todd J Derr <infidel+@pitt.edu>

At any rate, e2fsck was not able to deal with the duplicate blocks in
the two files, which points to a bug in e2fsck (couldn't really fix
the problem though it said it did).

I don't suppose we'll really be able to tell at this point in the
game, so... at any rate, fsck needs a test (and a fix) for the
duup blocks problem i saw.

I really wished you could have used debugfs to stat /bin/metamail and
/bin/mc so I could have more information about how the files were
corrupted. e2fsck already does have a test for duplicate blocks in its
test suite --- which it passes. So there's something a lot more subtle
than just "inodes with duplicate blocks don't get handled right with
e2fsck". In all of the normal cases that I've seen, e2fsck does get dup
block handling right. In your case, there must be some other filesystem
corruption that was confusing e2fsck, but I don't have enough
information to figure out what's going on.

I take it you don't have transcripts from the additional e2fsck runs?
Those would have been very useful as well.....

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.038 / U:0.392 seconds]