SubjectRe: 2.0.3: config limitation - cannot build both NCR drivers

Hello Eyal,

There is 2 things that I will never try:

1 - Install a proprietary (UNIXes included) O/S other that ???/?? on my
system with my linux HDs on line and not saved.
2 - Run a system with 2 drivers for the same scsi controller included at
the same time.

Imagine that the "make config" allow silently or not to build the kernel
with the 2 drivers included.
A warning message would be not enough to ensure that users will understand
the risk.

At the moment I donnot know how to check that at run time. Perhaps it is
obvious and I would appreciate any suggestion.

A possible solution can be that the both drivers will share some
code and/or data.

On Sun, 7 Jul 1996, eyal wrote:

> The config refuses to build the bsd NCR driver if the old one is selected as 'y'. I
> *do* want to build it as a module. I think the script should only refuse to include
> both statically.

You can build the both drivers as module.

> I indicated in the past that in reallity all scripts should allow building any
> componnent as a module even if it is also statically included in the kernel. This
> will allow me to later play with the componnents by rebuilding the static kernel but
> keeping the full suit of modules as is.

I am very interested in all kinds of benchmarks or tests with scsi components.
If you have some interesting results, mail me them.

Thanks in advance,

Gerard.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.070 / U:0.656 seconds]