SubjectRe: beware of SiS

> salam,
>
> I experience continous problems with a chipset known as "SiS",
> be that VLB or be that PCI boards or mixed systems. Just now I am getting
>
> "hda: timeout: status=0x50"
>
> when trying to install RedHat from CD-ROM (connected in ide0 as master
> w/ no additional devices neither on ide0, nor on ide1, since HD=SCSI).
>
> the board I am using this time is labeled: P/I P55SP4
> the chipset are labeled: SiS / 5513 / (c)(m)SIS'95 / CGD0193 / 9603IT
>
> I know there's a boot-option ("vlbsis???") which I am not sure if it
> helps, since I am using a pure PCI board right now.
> this is the 3rd time this happens to me. other boards never give
> me this problems, i.e. triton/intel chipset, ali chipset ...
>
> you are warned: avoid SiS ... seems to be junkware.... not hardware.
>
> /herp

I think this is an over-broad statement. I have a perfectly fine RedHat Linux
system using a Asus SV2GX4 DX4-400 motherboard that uses an SIS 47x series
chipset. In fact, SIS probably makes close to the top 486 chipsets available.
I have no experience with the ASUS P/I P55SP4 Pentium board that you have, but
are you sure that you have the board setup to boot off the SCSI drive? I have
heard of various problems with the combination of an ide CDROM with SCSI disk
system, particularily since the bios will try to boot off of ide0, unless you
have a bios that you can set a SCSI disk as the boot device.

From what I have seen/heard of the ASUS Pentium boards, the Intel/Triton-based
boards offer better performance from a memory bus perspective than the SIS
boards.

David

dmcgown@access.digex.net David R. McGown
dmcgown@va.gibbscox.com -o-O-o- LINUX INSIDE!
Home: (703)683-1599 206 Adams Ave NT TOO!
Work: (703)416-1240 Alexandria, VA 22301

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.081 / U:0.616 seconds]