SubjectRe: This is really Ridiculous
Jochen Toppe wrote:

> Think of it from the standpoint of you wanting to create
> a distribution. If every week a new kernel comes out that has to
> fix something like a forgotten comma, then you would probably
> be in trouble, right? I mean, bugs are "natural", you can't write
> code this big without them, that's why it would be nice to
> test it a little more before putting it in the stable-kernel-directory.
> Afterall, every bug-fix is very likely to introduce a new bug =)

I think in this case the onus is even more heavily on the enduser (the
person putting together the distribution) to do the testing, and if
necessary apply the small fix to correct minor problems. I think it is
even less a case to put that Linus should be testing to save distributors
effort than the one that he should for normal end-users.

All I can see any modification to the process doing is saving the end-user
from themselves.

I don't know, I don't find it very bothering. Perhaps it is an
expectation management issue ?

Terry

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.397 / U:0.148 seconds]