    SubjectRe: proc fs and shared pids
    >Kernelthreads? They dont shre the same pid. Userthreads are not visible to
    >the kernel at all and therefore there is no proc entry.

    As I understand it, kernel threads are implemented in linux with
    clone(), and hence they *can* share the same PID. Whether this
    is a good idea is perhaps another matter.

    Just did some experimenting with clone() and the CLONE_PID flag.

    This creates a new process with the same process ID as the original
    process. The proc fs has two directory entries for this with the same
    i-number. (!) So I guess the status of one of the two processes can never
    be retrieved.

    IMHO this is yet another severe shortcoming of /proc. It would perhaps
    be better to create a device which you can read and then returns the
    status of all processes. I just wrote a module that does exactly that.
    --
    Michiel Boland <boland@sci.kun.nl>
    University of Nijmegen

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.024 / U:0.252 seconds]