SubjectRe: tty->count ?
   Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 23:06:45 -0700
From: Steve VanDevender <stevev@efn.org>

This seems like a very radical change. On my system running 2.0.0, the
ttys and ptys are in major 4, the floppy is major 2, and the IDE disks
are major 3. Are ttys/ptys sharing major numbers with these devices, or
do I need to completely remake a whole bunch of my device entries?

The ttys and ptys are using the character devices; the floppy and ide
disks use only the block devices. Hence, there is no conflict.

You don't have to remake your device entries unless you want more than
64 ptys. The reason for moving the ptys to their own major numbers was
to lift the 64 pty limitation. There is compatibility code to support
pty's located at the old device numbers, but the compatibility code
requires that you either use the new pty device numbers or the old
ones. You can't mix and match...

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.059 / U:0.372 seconds]