SubjectRe: _My_ turn for a 2.1 wishlist

On Tue, 23 Jul 1996, Bernhard Kaindl wrote:

> On 20 Jul 1996, Kai Henningsen wrote:
> [about using one include file for each config option]
> >
> > Something I've missed?
>
> Just a preview how many include statements you need in some files:
>
> init/main.c 57647462 includes

What I've done before (on userland projects) is to seperate the
'autoconfig.h' style depends from the ordinary depends, taking
care that the normal depend does _not_ notice changes in the
'autoconfig' file.

The "make config_part2" is quite similar to "make depend" but looks for
"#if..."s in C and header files it then filches off the normal make
depend to work out which objects depend on which config options and put
this info into a single file.

The first thing the compile then did was to compare the old and new
config lists then simply, using the 'dependancy' file, delete all
objects that depend on options that have changed.

One other feature it had was that the objects and executables
were stored in a different directories from the sources, as the
config file was stored in there too we could have multiple
configs up at the same time.

The only real problem at the time was that make on it's own wasn't
quite upto the job, so we extracted the 'build lists' (which objects
are put into an executable) and had a script use this to create
a _huge_ completely explicit make file, came in very useful when
we ported to DOS - " 'make' duh, wass'at " :-)

--
Rob. (Robert de Bath <robert@mayday.compulink.co.uk>)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.089 / U:1.620 seconds]