    SubjectRe: magic file entry to understand core dumps
    	This is not a kernel issue, this is a userland thing.

    Please take it to such userland lists. The thing I hate
    the most is when people ask, and continue to discuss non kernel related
    issues on the kernel lists. Please read my response also:

    Andrew C. Esh graced my mailbox with this long sought knowledge:
    > I think we are diverging. And besides, I don't like the "strings"
    > solution. "gdb" and "file" should do their job.

    I can't speak for file, but..

    > Check this out: (The C code was given in one of the original reports.)
    > [andrewes@andrewes andrewes]$ cat test.c
    > main()
    > {
    > printf("%d\n", 0/0);
    > }
    > [andrewes@andrewes andrewes]$ gcc -g -o test test.c
    > [andrewes@andrewes andrewes]$ ./test
    > Floating point exception (core dumped)
    > [andrewes@andrewes andrewes]$ gdb -c core ./test
    > GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
    > under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
    > There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.

    Perhaps using the latest version of gdb would help you... 4.16 can
    read linux elf files.

    > GDB 4.15.1 (i486-unknown-linux),
    > Copyright 1995 Free Software Foundation, Inc...
    > Couldn't fetch registers from core file: File in wrong format
    > Couldn't fetch registers from core file: File in wrong format
    > #0 0x0 in ?? ()
    > (gdb) list
    > 1 main()
    > 2 {
    > 3 printf("%d\n", 0/0);
    > 4 }
    > (gdb) quit
    > Note that I gave it the executable name. So, the specific original
    > problem was the above, "File in wrong format", error. I've had it for
    > months. I had hoped that upgrades to libraries, or gdb would solve it,
    > but it hasn't. Note my gdb version number is 4.15.1.

    - Jared

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.019 / U:51.052 seconds]