SubjectRe: Alternate solutions (Was: Re: NFS still has caching problem)
   Date: 	Thu, 18 Jul 1996 10:04:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jauder Ho <jauderho@netcom.com>

why should we follow what sun does? We wrote our own filesystem
because it is better than ufs. similarly we can still have NFS, no matter
how broken it is and move forward at the same time by creating a better
filesystem ( one that works rather than just research based; although we
can pick the minds of people that are versed in it, there were some good
concepts in the Sprite filesystem ).

Because for a network filesystem, and indeed any client/server
application, it's probably not worth our collective time to write a
Linux-only solution. It won't be able to talk to all of the NFS servers
that are running on other platforms.

One of of the things which Microsoft finally learned was that
solutions that depend on everyone running the same operating system,
both clients and servers, just aren't going to cut it. That's why
they've started embracing Internet protocols. And if Windows, with its
huge user base, wasn't able to hack it, Linux certainly won't be able to
win with a Linux-only networking filesystem solution.

If someone wants to try, they are of course welcome --- it's a
free country, and people can spend their time on whatever they want. I
simply suggest that there are probably much better ways that a good
kernel hacker might spend their time.

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:1.430 / U:0.036 seconds]