SubjectRe: Encryption Hardware
Date
Hi,

> Has anyone got any encryption hardware running on Linux? I'm looking
> for a board that does RSA, and obviously a device driver. If anyone has
> any experience or knows something available, please lemme know.
>
> Or if anyone knows of a board, even without a driver, it shouldn't be
> too hard to slap one together...

You probably want to use some block or stream cipher like DES, IDEA or
RC4 but not RSA. RSA is very slow and has some significant weaknesses
under certain circumstances. So think again about if you really want
to use RSA.

In general encryption hardware is only required if you have extreme
security requirements. In that case you should ask a well renommed
company. The other reason for encryption hardware is, of course
performance. Especially DES is performancewise a pain in the but and
using another algorithem like IDEA will result in a significant
speedup and might make the hardware unnecessary.

Ralf

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.065 / U:0.012 seconds]