    SubjectRe: _My_ turn for a 2.1 wishlist

    Arthur D. Jerijian writes:
    -> Well, since my original post to linux.dev.kernel last week didn't go
    -> through, here's my wish list for Linux 2.1:
    -> * Incorporate file-level compression into ext2fs. This is one feature
    -> I'd love to see in Linux 2.1.x.
    ->
    Not a bad idea, per se, but not very important these days. Disk
    space is really cheap, and a fs-level compression scheme has flaws
    that may not be immediately obvious. If someone really gets a bug up
    about it and needs to implement it, they're perfectly welcome, but I
    personally would like to see other improvements before this.

    -> * Perhaps, incorporate ext2fs encryption and/or file undeletion.
    ->
    Undelete should be done in userspace. There's absolutely NO good
    reason to do it in kernel space, and in addition, userspace undelete
    schemes support all filesystems for free! If you're really interested
    in undelete, take a look at the entomb package from Purdue
    (ftp://ftp.cc.purdue.edu/pucc/entomb-3.5.tar.gz). It consists of a
    libtomb which replaces the standard libc unlink, rename and open
    syscalls with functions which tomb the file if needed, and a tomb
    manager. It's an elegant and infinitely more flexible solution to the
    problem.

    -> * Integrate the noblink patch into the kernel. This is usually the
    -> only patch I apply to every single kernel I download.
    ->
    Agreed. It's pretty small, and it seems to be the #1 nonstandard
    patch. And it's more useful than Java binary support, if you ask me :)

    I appreciate improvements as much as anyone, but I think we're nearing
    the point where we really have to consider what advantage there is in
    putting something in the kernel before it makes it in.

    Just my .02

    -Larry

    --
    Larry Daffner | Linux: Unleash the workstation in your PC!
    vizzie@airmail.net / http://web2.airmail.net/vizzie/

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:3.802 / U:0.068 seconds]