    SubjectRe: Is Changes to be renamed?
    hpk@prim.han.de (Holger P. Krekel) writes:
    > Hello,
    >
    > some time ago (I think when Linus was away) there was a discussion
    > about renaming the Documentation/Changes to something like "READMEFIRST"
    > or "WARNINGS" or whatever in the toplevel directory.
    > This could prevent this list from questions like
    > "my ps does't work anymore" or "make doesnt work" etc. This is because there
    > will be similar changes in the future, won't there?

    I think it would make a lot of sense to maintain a "Changes-2.0.x"
    file (or "Changes-2.1.x") for each version released that requires new
    software. A global "Changes" file would also be useful. That way,
    people who grab every other kernel could just check to see what was
    new and people whoupgrade wholesale would have a place to check what
    versions of everything they need. Alas, maintenance of this would be
    difficult. Perhaps a single "NEWS" file which contains the diffs that
    were applied to "Changes" for this version? *sigh* I'd much rather
    have Linux writing code than fending of onslaughts of "Make/PS/PPP are
    broken!" queries.

    Adding a top-level "README_BEFORE_INSTALLING" file would be nice -
    Documentation/Changes could be moved here or it could just be a
    pointer to that file.

    As a third thought, having "make config/menuconfig/xconfig" give a BIG
    BOLD MESSAGE saying to read Documentation/Changes would be a Good
    Thing(TM).

    TTFN,

    Sumner

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.020 / U:63.540 seconds]