SubjectRe: 2.0.[123] Oops! (Sound module)
James Box writes:
> Paul Matthews <paul@matthews.com> writes
> >neuron@arn.net writes:
> > > I get the following oops whenever I boot kernels 2.0.1 - 2.0.3 with the
> > > sound module compiled in, or after an 'insmod sound ' when it is compiled
> > > as a module...
> >
> >I don't get any oops, I just don't get any sound any more. Worked fine
> >with 2.0.0, but with 2.0.3, I get a funny diag when I try to use any
> >sound.
>
> It was a mistake to put a beta version of the sound driver into 2.0.x.
> I, too, am afflicted with bad sound output on my PAS16, and have to use
> /dev/audio1 to get semi-decent output from the SB emulation.
>
> As 2.0.x is meant to be a stable, working release for non-developers to
> upgrade to, I vote we go back to the sound driver that was in 2.0.0, and
> bring back the beta version in 2.1.x

All,

If Linux is to be accepted fully as a reliable UNIX workstation/server
environment we have to ensure that users can compile and install the
stable kernel version.

I recommend that we back up to the tried and tested version of the
sound driver. It makes a lot of sense to start an "experimental" or
beta test version now. That would avoid problems like the one we had
recently.

Paul

--
Paul Matthews
McLean, VA

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.051 / U:0.256 seconds]