SubjectRe: proc delays
On Tue, 9 Jul 1996, Alan Cox wrote:

> > I have noticed that several of the network status tools will hang in mid
> > report. For instance, route will often pause during its table printout.
> > ipfwadm -M -l or ipfwadm -F -l will do the same. The pauses are either
> The machine is waiting for a response from a remote name server that is
> slow or down. The "-n" option stops the net tools looking up names.

Speaking of pauses...while testing a new box with 2 Cyclades 16ye's
running 2.0.0, I had one modem dialed into another and did an 'ls -laR /'
from my minicom session on the terminal server (dialed into same terminal
server and then rlogin'd to the shell host). While doing this, I noticed
that any use of ipfwadm -lA or even just cat /proc/net/ip_acct would
cause ttyC overruns. This was on a P100.

Jon Lewis | Mime attachments are OK | But please ask before sending | unsolicited huge files.
________Finger for PGP public key_______