    SubjectRe: My wish for the next Linux-Release...
    On Mon, 1 Jul 1996, Herbert Wengatz wrote:

    > Hi there!

    [...]
    > All these need their special support included into the kernel under
    > Linux.
    >
    > So, under Linux I'm currently forced not to use the SAMBA-fs, NFS, nor
    > may I use my Scanner and I feel like I'll get some troubles with
    > PPP via ISDN in my near future. I also can't install the sound-driver
    > with all features enabled...
    >
    > But I'd like to soon use SAMBA and NFS, since I'm building up a little
    > LAN at home, with the PC of my girlfriend and my old Sun 3/60.
    >
    > And there are some more features I'd like to use, like firewalling,
    > and, and, and...
    >
    > Can anybody give me hint, what I can do ?

    Yes, build your kernel with only the vital to boot drivers (root
    disk(ide/scsi), rootfs (ext2fs), and build everything else as
    modules, kerneld is very efficant, and you'll never want to go back ...

    [...]
    > Regards,
    >
    > Herbert
    Bryn
    --
    PGP key pass phrase forgotten, \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
    again :( | initiated.
    | blank, apart from this text ;-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:3.261 / U:0.728 seconds]