SubjectRe: kerneld/request-route interaction bug with kernel patch
>> I've been attempting to use kerneld to automatically dial out via PPP
>> when a network connection is attempted and no connection is currently
>> active. It works, but I think there is a bug in how it works.
>
>I still don't believe that the route adding code in kerneld works correctly
>when triggered off interrupts. Please use diald and don't use the
>functionality in kerneld.

What would it take to convince you that it was working? I've been using
this for about three weeks now with no problems. I've also forwarded
a variant of the patch to three other people who have not reported problems.

I'd prefer not to have to set up and learn another package if there is
already functionality in the kernel which handles this transparently.
Also, the modules package suggests that you can install a dummy request-route
when installing the rest of the package. Apparently my kernel has been
invoking this dummy request-route for some time before I finally got around
to making it do the right thing. When should any problem manifest itself?

On the other hand, if it is not going to be supported and you don't want
people to test it, shouldn't it be removed completely?
--
http://www.bbc.com/ cgf@bbc.com "Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions Boston Business Computing the real can be."

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.058 / U:0.060 seconds]