SubjectRe: Driver optimization.
Khan M. Klatt wrote:

> On a similar note, I was speaking to a friend who is fairly familiar with
> NT. He states that you can install NT 3.5/4.0 on computer A, a 586, and
> also on computer B, a DEC alpha, and also computer C, a PowerPC RS/6000.
>
> Then you can go to a store and buy Word or Office for NT, and install the
> same software on computer A and on computer B and on computer C.
>
> Now I must admit this sounded really unlikely; after all, what kind of
> binary format could be implemented to generate code that is acceptable to
> a DEC Alpha, a Pentium, and a PowerPC?

okay... a lot of people already answered these questions.
This is just to say that OSF solves this problem with
ANDF - Architecture Neutral Distribution Format. When you
install software on your machine, the code is translated
from an hardware independant format to the binary format
of your system.

Check out http://www.osf.org/mall/tools/andf/index.htm for more informations.

alex

--
// Alexandre Maret -- Linux : The choice of a GNU generation //

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.138 / U:0.632 seconds]