    SubjectRe: Driver optimization.
    Khan M. Klatt wrote:
    > On a similar note, I was speaking to a friend who is fairly familiar with
    > NT. He states that you can install NT 3.5/4.0 on computer A, a 586, and
    > also on computer B, a DEC alpha, and also computer C, a PowerPC RS/6000.
    > Then you can go to a store and buy Word or Office for NT, and install the
    > same software on computer A and on computer B and on computer C.
    > Now I must admit this sounded really unlikely; after all, what kind of
    > binary format could be implemented to generate code that is acceptable to
    > a DEC Alpha, a Pentium, and a PowerPC?

    okay... a lot of people already answered these questions.
    This is just to say that OSF solves this problem with
    ANDF - Architecture Neutral Distribution Format. When you
    install software on your machine, the code is translated
    from an hardware independant format to the binary format
    of your system.

    Check out for more informations.

    // Alexandre Maret -- Linux : The choice of a GNU generation //
    \\ -- \\

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.017 / U:8.756 seconds]