    SubjectRe: Driver optimization.
    Khan M. Klatt wrote:

    > On a similar note, I was speaking to a friend who is fairly familiar with
    > NT. He states that you can install NT 3.5/4.0 on computer A, a 586, and
    > also on computer B, a DEC alpha, and also computer C, a PowerPC RS/6000.
    >
    > Then you can go to a store and buy Word or Office for NT, and install the
    > same software on computer A and on computer B and on computer C.
    >
    > Now I must admit this sounded really unlikely; after all, what kind of
    > binary format could be implemented to generate code that is acceptable to
    > a DEC Alpha, a Pentium, and a PowerPC?

    okay... a lot of people already answered these questions.
    This is just to say that OSF solves this problem with
    ANDF - Architecture Neutral Distribution Format. When you
    install software on your machine, the code is translated
    from an hardware independant format to the binary format
    of your system.

    Check out http://www.osf.org/mall/tools/andf/index.htm for more informations.

    alex

    --
    // Alexandre Maret -- Linux : The choice of a GNU generation //

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.018 / U:29.848 seconds]