    SubjectRe: SVGA kernel chipset drivers.
    On Thu, 6 Jun 1996, Kenneth Albanowski wrote:

    > On Thu, 6 Jun 1996, Jon M. Taylor wrote:
    >
    > > > This keeps getting mentioned, but I'm not sure all the pieces are in
    > > > place. Yes, VESA 2.0 is "32-bit". Does that actually mean it's usable from
    > > > within Linux?
    > >
    > > 32-bit protected mode? I don't see any reason why not. It works
    > > in Win95 (which, IIRC, was the reason for making it 32-bit).
    >
    > That's piece of information is hardly useful. Linux could be doing any
    > number of things that Win95 that would prevent VESA 2.0 calls from
    > working.

    I'm gonna have to back off on the VESA 2.0 thing here. I think
    that maybe it would be better to leave it alone, given that we are going
    to be duplicating its functionality anyway.

    > > > More importantly, do _any_ cards have VESA 2.0 information
    > > > built into the ROM? I hope I don't need to point out that a DOS VESA TSR
    > > > (32-bit or not) is quite useless to Linux.
    > >
    > > *All* the new ones do. The one I'm using right now (~3 months old)
    > > does, for example.
    >
    > I'm seeing conflicting information on this. And the Hercules Dynamite card
    > I purchased not _that_ long ago doesn't have VBE 1.2, let alone 2.0, in
    > the ROM.

    Hm. Well, I guess I was wrong. I still am pretty sure that most
    new cards will support 2.0 in ROM, but perhaps all of that isn't as far
    along as I had thought. Oh well.

    Jon Taylor = <taylorj@gaia.ecs.csus.edu> | <http://gaia.ecs.csus.edu/~taylorj>
    Moderation is for monks." - Lazarus Long

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.021 / U:90.096 seconds]