    SubjectRe: Sun, Java, Linux
    On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, Matt Hartley wrote:

    [huge snip]

    > Not much else I can think of, we should try to get a free license to include
    > the interperter in the kernel (of course only if Linus likes this and it
    > would increase the size of things and it would have to be optional....) or
    > maybe a module (I LOVE MODULES!) instead of the workaround we have now.
    > That would make it easier for interpertation for each machine through the
    > OS possibly. I dunno.

    Workaround???

    Dude, do you see a C compiler in the kernel? How about C++ ?
    Fortran? Ada? Pascal? BASIC? Any programming language at all?

    Compilation or interpretation of a programming language is a user-space
    thing - it does NOT belong in the kernel.

    The kernel is for funky things like hardware drivers, handling the
    multitasking, etc.

    -- Matt

    | -* Mostly Harmless ! *- | @~/ ,. \~@ / \/\ ,'Don't Panic|

    PS: not bad for an amateur ;)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.018 / U:33.428 seconds]