    SubjectRe: Ext2 speedup (No atime update)
    Date
    From: Ingo Molnar <mingo@kaliban.csoma.elte.hu>
    > On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, Jamie Lokier wrote:
    >
    > [ about the "no atime update" mount option ]
    >
    > > It would probably be best implemented as an inherited ext2 attribute
    > > then. Stick it on the news spool directory, and maybe those few files
    > > that keep the laptop owner's disks spinning.
    >
    > i think it's the best to have it as a mount option :) it's not

    I should be able to specify the default for a filesystem as a
    mount option, then set an attribute to include/exclude directories
    as I choose. Perhaps I have one partition for the whole system,
    and I want it to be fast. I want atime to work for /var/spool/mail.
    I want to let users turn on atime for their own directories and files,
    but it should be disabled by default. I want to enable atime in /tmp,
    but then users should be able to turn it off.

    Looks like it needs to be a bit that can be turned on and off,
    and which is inherited from the parent directory. If chattr
    affects the mounted filesystem at a mount point, then an attribute
    alone should be good enough.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.019 / U:29.744 seconds]