SubjectRe: SVGA kernel chipset drivers.
On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, root wrote:
> least make it a module option. The fact remains, if linux is to be
> supported by game developers it needs to have the basic video support
> required.

Ok, here's the fundamental point I was trying to make: Do we want, as
a design goal, for Linux to be an OS for game developers? Is "supported
by game developers" really a goal for Linux/UNIX?

It seems to me that this is not the direction Linux should take, or IS
taking. Is Linux supposed to be an alternative to Windows 95 and the
Mac or is it supposed to be an alternative to Windows NT, SCO Unix,
Solaris, etc...?

Now, if we can make Linux a great game platform WITHOUT compromising
these goals, then fine. However, at least Linus and some others don't
seem to think that's possible.

Mark E. Levitt
Department of Speech Communication, Syracuse University
Home Page:

PGP fingerprint = B8 A3 AA A6 0F 83 9A BE F2 7A 19 F9 15 79 FE A4
Public key available from