SubjectRe: SVGA kernel chipset drivers.
On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Andrew Walker wrote:

> Jon M. Taylor wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > > Are you really that dense?
> >
> > Calm down. This isn't imporant enough of an isse
>
> Yeah, but how many hundreds of messages do we have to endure.......?

Use the 'd' key, then. I have to do the same thing all the time
for other threads on linux-kernel.

> > > We HAVE a uniform graphics API already. It's called X.
> >
> > X is a GUI. A graphics API does things like individual pixel
> > writes, line- and shape-drawing primtives, stroked font support
> > (sometimes), and provides hooks to acceleration features like blitting.
> > A GUI does windows, menus, higher-level display management primitives,
> > mouse support, etc.
>
> Get real - Xlib *is* an API. No question about it. It provides all
> the primitives you want, and imposes no look&feel policy. A GUI
> it is not.

OK, maybe I should have called it a GUI/API or something. My
point is that with X, you take the whole package or nothing.

Jon Taylor = <taylorj@gaia.ecs.csus.edu> | <http://gaia.ecs.csus.edu/~taylorj>
Moderation is for monks." - Lazarus Long

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.026 / U:0.220 seconds]