    SubjectRe: SVGA kernel chipset drivers.

    CE = Chris Evans <chris@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
    CE> Do you _really_ think the drivers will be that big? X has evolved
    CE> into a somewhat bloated beast, and for example, the SVGA server
    CE> (which I use) has support for countless cards + accelerator
    CE> functions I don't need. The kernel module would just contain the
    CE> lowest level code, and I can imagine selecting which card/chipset
    CE> you have to be done via make config.

    Hmm...

    % size Xaccel-elf
    text data bss dec hex filename
    322516 43141 78908 444565 6c895 Xaccel-elf

    % size s3.ddx
    text data bss dec hex filename
    231057 1660 20 232737 38d21 s3.ddx

    Doesn't seem too big to me (and this will probably more-or-less match the size
    of the modules, which _do_ seem to big to me for the kernel). If you don't
    like the GUI people put on top of the X Windows server, try this: install the
    VGA font, rip the VT100 emulator from xterm or the kernel, start X and create
    a 1024x768 window for the terminal emulator with the VGA font. Now, the only
    thing you'll have to do is to put console switching into the X server (should
    be easy enough) and you're all done.

    The reason the X server eats so much core is mainly that all kinds of windows
    are created with backing store etc. But most of the time my server settles
    down at about 3.5Mb RSS, which I presume includes mmap'ing the 2Mb card memory
    (even when it doesn't, I think it's acceptable).

    Personally, I think kernel-level VGA drivers is reinventing the wheel (if you
    want to optimise stuff, you'll need to know about monitors, frequencies, and
    all) and not nearly as flexible as X11.

    Just my Hfl 0.02...
    --
    Cees de Groot <C.deGroot@inter.NL.net>
    OpenLink Software, Inc.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:6.352 / U:0.008 seconds]