    SubjectRe: SVGA kernel chipset drivers.
    On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Jon M. Taylor wrote:

    < serious insults omitted >

    > > We HAVE a uniform graphics API already. It's called X.
    >
    > X is a GUI. A graphics API does things like individual pixel
    > writes, line- and shape-drawing primtives, stroked font support
    > (sometimes), and provides hooks to acceleration features like blitting.
    > A GUI does windows, menus, higher-level display management primitives,
    > mouse support, etc.

    ok. let me explain it a bit.

    - As far as X is concerned, there is absolutely
    no need for more kernel support than there is now.

    - SVGAlib will get merged into X with the DirectVideo() interface

    - SVGATextMode uses "text mode" which is considered to be obsolete once
    graphics cards can do graphical font handling as ergonimic as in
    textmode. There are architectures with absolutely no textmode support,
    etc.

    This is how Linus sees the future i guess. Any problems? No place for GGI
    in this picture. Please argue against these points, or you are really as
    dense as someone before suggested :)

    [ i personally see future for textmode stuff, but this point is debatable
    IMHO ]

    < other insults omitted too >

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:4.475 / U:0.264 seconds]